25 January 2006

Dufuor recinds decision over new party



Dufuor recinds decision over new party
Posted: Jan 25 2006

A former Governor of the Bank of Ghana, Dr Kwabena Duffuor says he has changed his mind about the possibility of forming a new political party.

“ I have decided that I will remain in the CPP, help reorganize it and see to it that it regains its past glories,” he said.

Dr Duffuor’s decision is perhaps a reaction to appeals by some leading members of the CPP to him following a news story in the January 6, 2006 edition of the Daily Dispatch which read, “ 3 new parties in the offing’ which indicated that Dr Duffuor was one of the persons who was likely to form a new political party.

Following the pressure, Dr Duffuor issued a statement, which says “ for the avoidance of doubt, I wish to state emphatically that I am a card bearing member of the CPP and I have no intentions of abandoning the commitments which go with my membership in the party.”

“ My conviction is that the CPP can and must be built as an independent and viable alternative to both the NPP and the NDC.

I am ready in this connection to shoulder any responsibility that the CPP may impose on me in furtherance of the pursuit of the ends of social justice and democracy.

I wish to state without equivocation that I am not involved in any effort to sponsor a new political party,” he said.

Dr Duffuor, who was 63, last Saturday, January 21 is expected to be one of the favorites to be elected as the CPP’s flagbearer for the 2008 Presidential elections.

Source: Daily Dispatch





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?